View Single Post
Old 9th July 2012, 18:32

SteveB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Mediterranean Air War by Chris Shores

The book seems like a good buy so far. It is presented in Shores’ usual daily diary format with an attractive layout including tables of claims and losses which are not as detailed as the 2TAF books. There are far more photos than is usual for Grub St often reproduced in fairly large sizes and integrated with the text, photos which were good quality originals seem to have come out quite well. Quite a few photos are new to me (including a new photo of 3RAAF Gauntlets) and there seems to be much more of a balance with photos of Allied types and Axis types with a lot of Italian material. There is perhaps not such a good balance within the Allied photos I have seen only one or two SAAF photos so far. As usual with Chris Shores the book seems to have an excellent index. I’ve got the MMP books “Desert Prelude” Vols 1 & 2 and I have done a bit of comparison which shows that there seems to be more daily detail in the Desert Prelude books (but no tables) and probably more strategic context in the Shores book.

Steve