View Single Post
Old 24th June 2023, 11:30
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Aufkl.Gr.123 airmen's information required

Chris,

Those names fo appear behind a "Feindflugfeier" celebration along that of Bournot and Weixelbaum, which were clearly written. Only those two names were poorly written and without rank, although that of Oberfeldwebel Helmuth Jonas was later amended by someone else.

The probable mistake of my part was not regarding the loss of a Hauptmann, but rather probably confusing his Family name (written in old German) on the back of the image. And before the F Fürstenberg or Effenberg(er) there is no rank.

Amongst the FÜRSTENBERG listed on De Zeng's Files on the LW Officers, only this Hauptmann who attended Fl.Ausb.Rgt. 26 would "probably" fit, since we do not know his later career in the LW.

With Matti's answer, we do have a great probability of the airman being Obfw Jonas' Beobachter, which was named Effenberger. They are both wearing Schimmweste and full gear, just after a reconaissance sortie.

Since Weixelbaum was lost on the night of 4/5 September 1944, I would guess that the image was taken before that.

Sadly there is no mention to the number of the Feindflug...maybe an ordinary sortie or difficult sortie that was celebrated by some crewmembers of 2./Aufkl.Gr.123...

Am trying to obtain a copy of the 100th catapult launching of Lt-zur-See Rosenbaum on the Tirpitz. I have seen this image on one of your books. If you could help me with that one, it would be greatly appreciated for the 2 volumes of the forthcoming "Feindflügenfeiern" book.

I was pretty busy last 4 months and unable to conclude this work, which am trying to finish whenever I do have a free time available.

Most humbly yours,

Adriano S. Baumgartner