View Single Post
Old 18th May 2011, 19:54

Robert Forsyth
Memoirs of Luftwaffe General 'For Kaiser and Hitler'

Of interest to members of this board will be our new book ‘For Kaiser and Hitler: From Military Aviator to High Command – The Memoirs of Luftwaffe General Alfred Mahncke 1910-1945’. As far as I am aware, these memoirs are the first from a former General of the Luftwaffe to be published in the English language since those of Kesselring in 1953.

You can read more at www.thetatteredflag.com

Mahncke joined the fledgling Luftwaffe in 1935, and from his position as Reichluftsportführer witnessed at first-hand the politics and personalities involved in re-building German air power. Later he was Kommodore of KG 152. He describes, vividly, his role in the emergence of the new Luftwaffe as leader of various Luftgaustab and the subsequent deployment to Russia in June 1941, culminating in the drive into the Caucasus and Crimea and the advance on the Volga. Mahncke was deeply involved in Luftwaffe operations at Stalingrad and later in the Kuban in 1943; he served as commander of Luftgaustab z.b.V. 21 within Luftflotte 4; as commander of 15. Luftwaffen-Felddivision; Kommandeur of Fliegerdivision Donez and as acting commander of I. Fliegerkorps within Luftflotte 2. He then moved to Italy, where he co-ordinated the German air defence of Sicily ahead of the defence and retreat through the Italian mainland throughout 1943 and 1944 where he served as Kommandierender General des Luftgau-Kommando Süd, Stellvertreter des Luftflottenchefs, Luftflotte 2 (Deputy to Chief of Air Fleet 2) and then as Kommandierender General und Befehlshaber im Luftgau Italien. He finally served as commander Luftwaffen-Auffangstab Nord in November 1944.

Mahncke met and worked with Göring, Udet, Milch, Kesselring, Jeschonnek, von Richthofen and many other senior commanders of the Luftwaffe and German armed forces. He describes their strengths and weaknesses, as well as their vision – or lack of it.

The memoirs have been translated by Mahncke’s son with whom I have worked directly on this project and who has made available some wonderful photos and documents from his father’s career. Naturally, I am biased, but I have taken it on because I thought it was a superbly written account. It is quite unique and very absorbing.

Details:

Format: Hardback – 352 pages
Size: 230 x 150 mm
Illustrations: 97 photographs (b/w ), plus facsimiles and 4 maps
ISBN: 978-0-9555977-4-9
Price: £25.00

We have a small special offer running until 1 August and you can also register to be kept informed of future plans.

With best regards,

Robert Forsyth

For Tattered Flag Press