View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2024, 21:15

oquaig is on a distinguished road
Re: Has anyone ever found aerial photos or a map of these airfields ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzebau View Post
Hello,

I found some information on reel A5263 from AFHRA. The list is from 10.1944 but it's stated that information about airfields is dated 09.1939:

- Rogoznica L.G. (landing ground)

52°01'50"N
22°52'10"E (village)

Believed to be suitable for use by fighter aircraft
Rogoznica is 4.5 miles W. of Biala Podlaska

- Wegrow/Stara Wies L.G. (Toncza, Srodborow):
52°27'55"N
21°57'30"E
Believed to be suitable for use by fighter aircraft
4 miles WNW of Sokolow Podlaski

Hope it helps

Hi Tanzebau,

Yes, very helpful Thank you. Finding Rogoznica was amusing because there are three grouped together: Rogoznica proper, mis-labeled on Mapcarta as “Starawies”, but on the 1941 Deutsche Heereskarte it was the only Rogoznica in that area; the current bigger village of Rogoznica 1.3 km to the west and Rogoznica Kolonia 1.5 km to the SW (both shown on the Deutsche Heereskarte only as outlying buildings) are likely post war developments (thus the “Starawies” -meaning ‘old town’ in Polish- may have been a reference to it being the original Rogoznica and contributed to my incorrect thinking that Starawies was located here too). The airfield was likely at the south end of Rogoznica. Miedzyrzee is 7 km to the SW.

The only source I have that I./KG 53 was at Miedzyrzee is Heinz Kiehl. It is mentioned only once in the text and isn’t footnoted and there is no bibliography. I suspect everyone just quotes from him. Maybe Kiehl was quoting someone’s flugbuch or the unit KTB ? I know he did research at the Karlsruhe collection in the 60’s and 70’s just by the loss list at the end of the book. He interviewed a lot of people from KG 53 also.

Odd that I./KG 53 spent only one day/night at Miedzyrzee. They flew missions while there on 2 July 1941 and had one aircraft damaged by a fighter. On 3 July I./KG 53 lost another making a “Bruchlandung” at “Krewitca” (Krzewica)possibly before their move to Baranovichi the same day, or maybe because of it.

Thanks again
oquaig