View Single Post
Old 25th February 2006, 14:35

en830
May 9 1941, 604 Sqn shooting down of a 600 Sqn Beaufighter

On May 9th 1941 Flt/lt Robert Woodward and his A I operator Sgt Alfred Lipscombe, of 600 Sqn based at Colerne were lucky to survive when a Beaufighter from 604 squadron at Middle Wallop mistook their aircraft for an enemy bomber. In the murk and darkness the 604Sqn pilot F/O Chisholm mistakenly thought the silhouette of the 600 Sqn Beaufighter was hostile, possibly a JU88. Woodward managed to keep control of the burning aircraft while Lipscombe baled out, Woodward following close behind his AI operator. According to my records their aircraft T4641 crashed close to Warwick.

During the days that followed relations between the two squadrons were icy. In the Officers Mess the airmen of 600 Sqn suggested a number of courses of action to take as retribution against their assailants, none of which were ever carried out. The 600 Sqn ORB entry for the incident records sarcastically that “Sgt Lipscombe recognised their attacker as a Beaufighter, It is a pity that the 604 Sqn pilot did not do the same”

I would be interest to know if anyone has any further information on this incident, possible a corresponding entry from the 604 Sqn ORB, and maybe Chisholms full name and that of his A I Operator. Also does anyone know if T4641's crash site has ever been located and investigated ???

I know this is a long shot, but you just never know who or what is going to turn up.