View Single Post
Old 12th March 2018, 14:34
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: B-24s of 7th BG lost over Rangoon in March 1943

I found something on the official American war chronology for March 1943 (available here: http://www.znaci.net/00002/316_27.pdf)
"10 March 1943
Mingaladon airdrome and Pazundaung bridge at Rangoon attacked by 4 and 5 B-24's respectively; at the airdrome, several hits are scored on runway, buildings, and revetments; 5 hits scored on N end of bridge, but smole prevents observation of results. After leaving the target, the formation is attacked by 11-13 enemy planes, 3 of which are destroyed and several damaged.

13 March 1943
Pazundaung bridge at Rangoon is attacked for second successive day, by force of 4 B-24's; 2 near misses scored on bridge. Five-seven enemy twin-engine fighters intercept, 1 of which is destroyed, 1 probably, and several damaged; 2 B-24's destroyed."

In this document, the Japanese aircraft are identified as twin-engine fighters. And I guess that five-seven means five to seven, not fifty-seven, because this will be a huge number of fighters from this type.

The 21 Sentai flying Ki-45 twin-engine fighters moved from Sumatra to Mingaladon airfield near Rangoon during the month of March, so it was probably this unit that engaged the 7th BG bombers.

I know that a number of Japanese war diaries are available online, but as I can't read Japanese, I don't know if the one for this month and 21 Sentai is available, but maybe you can check it.