Thread: AceS n°8
View Single Post
Old 31st August 2018, 08:58

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough
Re: AceS n°8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Their interest is varied and not just limited to France & Luftwaffe
Yes of course, but my point was that obscure French topics (a speciality of Avions that have its dedicated readers in France) will in no way interest the average English-reading aviation enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
As for the sales of some English language editions translated from other languages, much depends on marketing. As far as I know, e.g. Caraktere's books are not available via many online sellers. Plus I have never even seen the book advertized! Not e.g. on this board.
You may start to understand. Just re-read that and think if it would be worth it, economicaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
The Aviation Historian was mentioned earlier. Indeed it has some good articles, but thus far I have refrained from subscribing due to two issues: sometimes awful layout (=ragged right coupled with an obsession of cramming in too many graphics) and that there are too many articles on really poor topics like Iranian aerobatics (jets), post-war jets, air stewardesses and similar junk. That the leading English language aviation historical journal wastes space on such junk when e.g. the available (in English) literature on Japanese WW2 aircraft is researchwise sometimes over 40 years old and written by authors not speaking Japanese is a policy I can never understand.
Then you wouldn't buy translation of either Aero Journal or Avions as they are forced by a stupid french law to have few pages dedicated to "actuality" (to allow them to be sold on the press market). And "actuality", for most Aviation History, that means current aviation topics (I have no more interest in than you in such topics - Aces chose to have their pages dedicated to models, but it's of no more interest to me). Of course the translation may be purged from those articles...