View Single Post
Old 13th May 2012, 16:19

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: The Luftwaffe: A Complete History (2010) by E.R. Hooton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oxley View Post
"The Great War in the Air: Military Aviation from 1909 to 1921", by John Morrow. He covers the technical, industrial and material side of all the major airforces. Almost an economists viewpoint. A bit dry, but provides an excellent basis for understanding why and how each of the combatants went about fighting the war in the way they did.
Thank you again! I've just bought a cheap second-hand copy of that title without being sure what I was in for and haven't opened it yet. Now I know I chanced upon a good book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oxley View Post
They can be a bit pricey. For Baileys equilavent there are various books on the Jasta's eg "Jasta War Chronology: A Complete Listing of Claims and Losses, August 1916-November 1918" by Norman Franks. However nothing is available in such detail covering the FFA Army Co-op units as such. The best oen I've found to date is the book mentioned above by Alex Imrie, namely "German Army Air Service". That and Rick Duviens book does provide as much detail of these units as is available in print at present. For the RFC the "RFC Communiques 1917-1918", by Chaz Bowyer is a good start.

For other theatres try "In The Clouds Above Baghdad: The Air War in Mesopotamia, 1916-1918 by John E Tennant; and "Aces and Kings" by L. W. Sutherland.

Good luck!
Thank you for yet more book titles. I'll start looking for Duivens and Franks, and then see where I go from there