View Single Post
Old 1st July 2017, 16:06
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: The first 4 Ju88C-6 prototypes?

The batches Mr. Stemmer talks about were only W.Nr. (numbers ranges), all beginning with 0880360xxx, 0880140xxx, 0880430xxx - but 75xxxx and 72xxxx series were in six digit Secret code "system" (most often skipping 088 as prefix) - not production batches.

The Ju 88 C-6 were only assembled at FZB (Bernburg), not "Ju Bernburg" (sic) from components (wings, tails fuselages, engines, propellers etc.) but not produced there. The factories producing the Ju 88 components were located elsewhere, and these also getting hoards of small parts from yet another location (JFM Schönebeck, ATG Leipzig, Siebel Halle to name just three feeding main JFM locations). This former info has been stated many times, even in books and is correct. The latter info is so obscure that "mainstream-authors" most often fail look for them (or just skip).

"Production Batches" were entierly different and airframe´s (Zellen) within each batch also going to the Ju 88 A-4s & D-1s besides the C-6. This was Mass-production scheme, and production assembly was not dependent on batches. Orders of certain numbers of airframes from Gross-Bauteilen parts was common. Even them Siebels were from Gross-Bauteilen, and may have included Junkers made fuselages. And Ju 88 A-4 Lizence builders feeding parts in more complex manner than previously published, whereby for example, Henschel (planned) supplied fuselages to Arado, Siebel, ATG and Heinkel. But it seems these also ending up in Bernburg too!

I have different info on Ju 88 C-6s than Mr. Stemmler but will not elaborate - as not part of original query, but yes, assembly of C-6s started in about November 1941 but very few delivered at first.

Wise be not recommend any mainstream Ju 88 book at present. Having reached my point in Ju 88 research, I see clearly who has "copied info" (most often garbled) or who had done his or hers homework properly.
This says the "new" title published by Classic some years back, by an American, are ... excuse the language ... botched.

Medcalf "skipping Europe as an research source" is all too evedent. Well placed errors make me regret picking them up at RAF Museum Hendon last year. Not worth their pounds. Speaking of Hendon, they had the only ex-Ju 88 C-6 in existance but converted to BMW engines as Ju 88 R-1 in 1942.

Mr. Philip, I am not researching the Ju 88 to tell if certain planes were used by certain units, in certain times. My research is aimed at what happened in production, why, how and where.

-Ed

Last edited by edNorth; 3rd July 2017 at 00:18.