View Single Post
Old 16th April 2009, 18:48
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Paul-Hubert Rauh - 30 December 1943

Hello guys

Laurent, many thanks for your extensive and very helpful reply. It was just what I was needing and then some. Many thanks! I can add that it appears that concerning the 16 July 1943 incident he was shot down by F/O Harold White (12 destroyed and four damaged victories) of 141 Sqn, RAF. I have also read that concerning the 21 November 1944 incident he was shot down by the return fire of the second of his two victims that he claimed that night, Halifax III (MZ377) "AL-D" of 429 Sqn, RAF. Bill, could it be that rather than being shot down by P-47 fighters he was actually shot down by the P-51 fighters of the 353rd FS, 354th FG which claimed a Do 217 over Ludwigshafen-Metz? The Ludwigshafen-Metz area is by far closer to Karlsruhe than Châlons-sur-Marne. For what I know the Merlin-engined P-51 fighter had just made its combat debut and perhaps Rauh mistook these for the more familiar P-47 fighter and for their part the American pilots may have misidentified the two twin-engined, twin-tailed aircraft. What do you think?

Horrido!

Leo