View Single Post
Old 21st January 2012, 17:51

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Trying to validate Factory code of TN+AG for a He111 shot down on May 10, 1940

Hi Larry,

An old case.
I have pretty clear picture of the left side of the a/c showing N + A1. However, the area around the Balkenkreuz is vague, so I can see whether the N was the first or second letter.
In an earlier discussion on Luftarchiv.de the code was (without further explanation or source) mentioned as A1+NR, see
http://www.luftwaffe-bullet-board.co...highlight=kg53

The same picture I have is by the way in Arnaud Gillets "Victoire de la Chasse Francaise" pt2 p.166. He also mentions the N+A1 and concludes it must have been the A1+NR.

The general interpretation is still that this was an exceptional case where the two parts of the code were switched. So NR+A1 instead of A1+NR. Don't ask me why, but apparently some freedom was allowed e.g. units starting the individual letter from Z instead of A. Or an apprentice "aircraft letter painter" who mis-interpreted the instructions? For all clarity, it can not be a case of an inverted/mirrored picture, since the letter N and the Swastika would then be wrong, which they are clearly not.

Until proven wrong I therefore also stick to the code A1+NR, placed in reverse order.

Kind regards, Pieter