View Single Post
Old 27th August 2012, 16:56

Felix C is on a distinguished road
Re: Mediterranean Air War by Chris Shores

Just read through page 107(Jan 1941) and note the creditable performance of the Italians until the advent of the Hurricane in squadron strength.

Is it me or is the SM.79 a sturdy aircraft capable of suriving quite a bit of damage as I see more force landed than shot down by Gladiators or Hurricanes? Or is it more a result of the performance of .303 ammunition?

Is it not strange how some pilots mention combat but there is no corresponding report or even sortie by the opposing side? Is there still much missing in terms of documents from this theater and time frame? I do not mean over reporting of kills/probables/damages but that no combat occurred at all.

I am glad someone mentioned what FTR means in a post regarding another book by Mr. Shores. I intended to ask here.

I understand the book addresses losses and damages incurred by aircraft not actually sorties executed. Is that correct? There are references to other missions were no losses resulted so I presume there were many more executed where there was no damage and so no reference in the book.

Last edited by Felix C; 27th August 2012 at 21:27.