View Single Post
Old 24th October 2021, 20:50

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
Re: Me 262 - Weights & Measures

Snautzer, Jim and UDF,

Thank you all for this information.

Regarding the launchers, I had estimated (based on the fact the launchers were made of wood and their dimensions) that their weight would be about 25 kg or so. Having confirmation of the exact weights is excellent.

BTW Snautzer, what is the source of these documents your shared here? I have some similar ones from the “Bedienungs Anweising fur R4M” (March 1945) and “Anbauwanweisung fur R4M” (November 1944), and various OKH Wa Prüf. 11/II Versuchsberichten (1944-1945) but nothing for the information I was seeking. BTW, can you fill in the missing word for the subject of this memo: “a) Angaben aus ????? der Jagdgruppe 10 von 2.3.1945”. Thanks.

It is interesting that the document indicates the set-up for the Me 262 was for 15 R4Ms (that was later reduced to 12), but remained the same for the Fw 190 (A/D) at 13 as confirmed in photos. Thus the launchers ultimately used by the Me 262 were virtually the same weight as those for the Fw 190 series.

And the information on the take-off weight is very helpful. In Walter Boyne’s book “Messerschmitt Me 262 – Arrow to the Future (Smithsonian, 1980) that I forgot I had in my library, I discovered that he includes the translation of Mtt. test pilot Fritz Wendel’s flight notes (Referenced from A.I.2(g) Report No. 2357). In it Wendel echoes the above-quoted 190-200 kph take-off speed for a fighter fully laden at 6700 kg, and 200-220 kph for a bomber at 7100 kg.

Snautzer, the translated Me 262 Pilot’s Handbook is, I seem to recall, available online. Can you share the link if known?

Many thanks,

David