View Single Post
Old 15th June 2009, 18:01
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Help solve a mystery: crash location in Norway of a 1./KGr100 He111H-3 on 24.5.40

Hello,

Please help our EOE team solve a mystery. I've recently acquired a FB and photo coverage relating to the loss of a 1./KGr100 He111H3 in Norway as a result of a night anti-shipping mission on May24-25, 1940. Here is what we now carry as our entry in our Luftwaffe loss DB:

1./KGr.100 Heinkel He111H-3. Engines damaged by AA fire during night attack on shipping in the Lofoten Islands off Harstad and crash-landed near Mo during return flight 2.50 a.m. FF Oberfw Paul Grunau, BO Oberfw Willi Hoinowski, and rest of crew all unhurt. Aircraft 6N+BH 100% write-off. (EOE Flugbuch details)

The FB entry from the BO, Ofw Hoinowski, describes the loss, and his albums provide photos of the FL. Three of our experts have been able to decipher the handwritten Sutterlin script for the entire notes on the loss, except the exact location of the crash. Peter Cornwell, who is producing our loss DB comments: "...It is clearly somewhere near Mo-I-Rana which is midway between Harstad and their base at Trondheim but I can’t find anywhere remotely resembling what may even be an abbreviated entry?"

So here is the mystery location, which we'd dearly like to include in our DB, and provide in the captions when we publish the photos. Can anyone decipher this location? There is a very small settlement in the background of one of the crash pictures, so it was near some habited place, although it was probably very small, and may not even appear on maps. Who can solve this mystery for us? Should I offer as grand prize for the solution a fully restored, original He111 from the Norwegian campaign?

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview...=18&u=11993385

Regards,