View Single Post
Old 27th November 2009, 06:24

Red Baroness is on a distinguished road
Re: Maj. Georg-Peter Eder-17 times shot down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kassak View Post
I have been interested a long time in this person. Unfortunatelly have been never able to find some sufficient sources about details of his career...Why is it so, that one of the best viermottoters and highest ranking german aces does not have monography printed or some decent study published?? Wick, Molders, Graf, Galland, Hartman, Lipfert, Novotny etc has them...And it is even more currious because of a fact that he was one of the tops on FW 190 in Africa, if I am correct...

That's a good Question, Peter. I asked myself the same question about another great ace, the man in my avatar and mentioned in my signature.

Eder, Kupfer, and many many others should be deserving of decent biographies. We can only hope that someday, someone will take the plunge on these gentlemen (I know one is being worked on with Kupfer) and thus enrich our libraries.

It's not a matter of "getting into their pants" as has been said before, but rather, a re-telling of the history and what made them so successful. Though to some, a standard "dry" military-only biography would not serve.

I have always found the "killing two tanks with an aircraft" recounting of Eder absolutely amazing. The first time might have been pure luck, but the second time? Baffling, and astounding.

Researching Walter Oesau in preparation for an English-language biography