View Single Post
Old 14th July 2017, 08:32

Cofian is on a distinguished road
Re: 23rd December 1944 - raid on Koln/Cologne - VC for plane shot down

What an extra info.... Ths calls for a return favour....

If I do a quick response:
- course no way certain that the fighter was decisive in Palmer being shot down, I can ofcourse only assume this to be the case. The footage shows however a firing 190 (smoke around the plane - she gets a bit blur in the footage - that is just before the Lanc's port inner engine gets a fire trail) and several hits on the fuselage.
- what seem to be timings in the second response-message is quite difficult to fit.

When I try to get as much as possible info, then one sees (see also attached compilation):
- the German 190 in view in a slow curve to port getting into position behind the Lanc;
- the Mustang curving in to the 190's port quarter and from slightly above;
- one then sees (indeed) typical flak clouds (first frame – the fresh flak cloud just springs up in this frame – pretty dangerous for ones own planes – an older flak cloud dis-appears just right of the lower crosshair mark – the Lanc is also in view now, assumed to be moving slightly to starboard, the 190 still having to move to port to get the Lanc in sight, the Mustang homing in to the 190, also turning to port);
- the next shots are the 190 firing (the fuselage is less(er) visible);
- then a frame in which the Lanc’s inner port engine is emitting flames (a slight smoke-cloud is left behind the plane) following some smoke around the 190, which seems to have been hit by the Mustang on the starboard wing at about the same time. You then see further hits on the Lanc’s fuselage itself (this can not be flak alone) and the Lanc turning sharper to port and downwards;
- the 190 then clearly gets hit, bits are coming off and she turns to starboard in a cloud of smoke, which blocks view of the Lanc as well. The last you see of the Lanc is a continues flame at her port inner engine.