View Single Post
Old 16th February 2015, 15:30

bearoutwest is on a distinguished road
Re: Washout built into the wings of the Ta-152H

My interpretation of the text is that the washout is built into the structurally rigid inner wing section and remains constant for the outer wing section with the control surfaces, i.e.
a) washout goes from 0 degrees (relative) at the wing root, to -3 degrees at the flap-aileron junction;
b) washout remains at a constant -3 degrees across the outer wing supporting the aileron hinges.

I gather that the more solid (or rigid) inner wing is more suitable to manufacture the rib structure alignment to provide the downward twist. The outer wing with it's more slender section being (in a relative sense) more difficult to manufacture the appropriate rib alignment, with the added possibility of interference with the aileron hinge connections.

The inner wing washout means it goes from 0 to -3 degrees across the span between root to flap/aileron junction, so not -3 degrees all the way along the inner wing. As for ability to take off - well at take-off rotate speed, you may need to pull back extra on the stick to generate 3 degrees up angle on the wing, that means the inner wing is now aligned at +3 degrees (at root) to 0 degrees (at flap/aileron junction) to the direction of travel, regulation wing lift coefficients in effect from now onwards. Continue pulling back on the stick to generate best rate of climb wing angle, etc, etc.

Regards,
...geoff