View Single Post
Old 27th January 2005, 20:56

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Dear Ed,

Who is saying that certain records have been sealed for a hundred years? If it is Georg, I put it into the category of "conspiracy". The whole area of the study of history is rampant with the effects of the game of telephone.

For instance, I recently picked up an AAHS Journal covering an account of the history of the Air Disarmament Division. In it, the author, a NASM curator, cites material that I am interested in as being in NARA RG 72. I called him to confirm this statement. While he said he didn't personally do that particular piece of the research, he believed the claim to be true. However, he said, a recent finding by an NASM fellow was that the information had been moved to RG 331. Of, course, following a shift like that can be difficult, so I asked who the fellow was. It turns out we had known each other for some time, so I gave him a call. No, he indicated, the curator had gotten the story wrong, although the CIOS reports he found had been listed in a difficult to find manner in RG 331. These, however, were not the reports I was looking for in RG 72.

So, here we had a NASM curator not really understanding what he had been told, innocently playing the game of telephone, with misleading results. You can see why I haven't named names nor been any more specific than I have been. Check and confirm. Go to the source of the information.

If that "sealed for a hundred years" info actually originated with Georg or one of the published sources in his book, be quite cautious. You're definitely into the game of telephone.

Regards,
Richard