View Single Post
Old 19th December 2019, 15:03

manniw is on a distinguished road
Re: Crash B26 on 11.April 1945 near Cologne

Hello, RSwank,

thanks for the further information about the crew. The second link to the 391th BG is from 11.09.1944......I spoke with the Brtitisch Air Museum months ago and they explained to me that it happened very often that crews were exchanged among themselves or individual members were transferred to other BGs or Sq.

To the 505Th PIR I also tried to get information about the 11.04.1945, until today without any result. I have the daily reports until 10.04 and then again from 13.04.1945, in which the handing over of the places by the mayors is mentioned......It is amazing that the crash and the rescue of the crew is not mentioned anywhere officially. But even Martha Gellhorn described this story in her book.....Is it possible that the story of the "good German civilian" who rescues American soldiers did not fit into the time? Everything that was published had to be censored by the press.....it is just a consideration.

I am thrilled that you are so committed to my questions, I am curious what else you have for me.

Greeting
Manni