View Single Post
Old 20th October 2016, 03:05

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: Erich Hartmann's Bf109K

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusel View Post
Can you tell me what "C3 triangles" are ?
Michael,
have a look at a photo or profile of (for the purposes of example) the left side of a Messerschmitt 109.

If you are looking at an Me109E, G or K, you should see a little painted yellow/orange/reddish orange triangle high up on the fuselage side. Typically just a above the fuselage code number and above left of the balkenkreuz. On an F, it will be on the side of the cockpit. This is the plane's octane level/fuel-type triangle.

(Unless you are looking at a photo where it has been overpainted for camouflage purposes of course...)

Inside that number will be any of the following: B4 or 87, 96 or C3, or 100.
As stated elsewhere: B4 is code for 87 Octane and C3 is code for 96 Octane but sometimes, as demonstrated, just the octane level was painted there.
It was intended to tell the mechanics and ground personnel what fuel the aeroplane should be serviced with.

Hope that helps. If you have trouble finding what I am referring to, we can perhaps decide on a book that both you and I have in our collections and I can then refer you to a specific page with an illustration that shows a good view of what we are talking about here.

Nick