View Single Post
Old 24th February 2012, 11:05

Chris Thomas
Re: Where was 180 Sqn RAF stationed on 14 December 1944? See pics

The elaborately camouflaged hangars were at Melsbroek. There is a series of photos (and film) in the IWM collection showing Typhoons of 124 Wing being serviced in front of them in September 1944 which confirm the location.

I believe the 14 December 1944 is likely to be the nearest. It is known that a Fox photographer and Charles E Brown visited 2ndTAF bases in December 1944 but unfortunately I have not been able to discover the exact dates. There is a colour photo of the Mitchell being dismantled in the Charles E Brown collection.

I think the dates for this series of images should be treated with caution. For example, in the links provided there are two shots of a Typhoon being pushed in and out of a damaged hangar - dated '1942' and February 1945; in fact they were both taken at Deurne (Antwerp) during that December 1944 visit. Incidentally, the Typhoon is Wg Cdr J.R.Baldwin's aircraft 'JB II'/PD521, although he was on rest at that time (having been Wg Cdr Ops 146 Wing), returning as a Grp Capt, OC 123 Wing, in February 1945.