View Single Post
Old 24th January 2009, 23:50
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Me110: Ill-used in BoB

Hello Birgir
already in WWI there were tactics for fighter pilots how to minimized the effect of rear gunner and in addition there were those already mentioned, one vs 8 mgs etc. Also during G-manoeuvres gunner had difficulties to stay on his seat not talking on keeping his gun on target.

But I agree with Göran and Christer B that 110 was better than descripted in many English language books. When used in right way it could be dangerous opponent. Spitfire was better but Hurricane only by a small margin and at least the combats between 110s of III./ZG 26 and Hurricane I Trops in N Africa before 109s arrived indicated that. hey fought more or less a draw there, usually the side which saw the other first won. Now Mk I Trop was worse than Mk I so my conclusion is that Hurricane Mk I was slightly better than 110C/D. Only an oppinion of mine, I'm not trying to convince anybody.

On the Christer B's victories vs losses table, if one checks the Spitfire losses from his source, a table in Narrow Margin, at least the table in 1963 edition gives different losses IIRC.

Juha