Thread: Siegfried Zick
View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2020, 17:00
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road
Siegfried Zick

Hi guys

Many thanks to all who answered for your thoughts on this issue. I would like to thank Johannes for checking the microfilm in question and confirming that it does indeed list his (apparently) final claim on 20 July 1944. It could be that the entry is in error or perhaps the entry for his wounding is what's at fault? It is a shame that there really isn't all that much for the alleged 18 July 1944 incident as it seems that the usual NVM report doesn't appear to exist. I've noticed that there are several such "missing" reports for a couple of important JG 11 aces; Major Anton Hackl on 15 April 1944 and Hauptmann Rolf Hermichen on 12 May 1944, for example. Regarding whether he claimed 20 or 31 victories, I've noticed that, overall, if the claim doesn't appear in the microfilms it more often than not isn't an "official" claim. Of course, there are numerous examples of missing individual claims and large gaps in the existing records as can be expected that sometimes can be verified through other documents but that's what I've usually noticed. Perhaps these 11 non-microfilm claims were unconfirmed claims?

Horrido!

Leo