View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:15
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: A Galland mystery – Historical question to experts including J. Prien: Galland’s two victories won on 3 June 1940

rof120,

I guess me and the other members would like to see (for selling) one of your books published, correcting the list of Adolf Galland victories....maybe fully cross-checked and pin-pointed, with references to his Logbook and AIR 27 files or other RAF Logbooks...

Do agree with you that we are all Human beings...and that some pilots, in the heat of the combat, may have "erroneously" claimed a Spitfire whilst actually this was a Boulton-Paul Defiant Mark I....This happened? Surely....We can blame them? Nope...we were not there....you see, the weather, what you believe you saw, etc...the list is huge.

Now, we do have here, as Members of this Fórum and Board, writers who have "been on the game" since we were kids...or not even born (for some)...Some of those, did really have MET and INTERVIEWED personally some of the Aces they do describe or write about in their books...

It takes time (believe me) to write a book like those you have quoted...

Instead of "hitting" NAMES (authors), why we couldn't have another approach on this Board? Why not trying to rebuild history (like some new authors are doing magnificently) with DATA, and references too? If you can do better than the already acclaimed writers, please do show us your work?

Recently a French Historian (whose age I do not know) published a magnficent work and site about ONE particular Day in Air War. This was really fantastic work, fully cross-checked and illustred.

And how sure are we, analyzing those combats of May 1940, of WHO claimed WHAT with so many claims around the same área, and in the same frame of time? For instance, the cases of two airmen of the same Flight shooting at the same enemy plane is quite common in both sides or French sides too...and some times, the victory was "granted" to both....so who shot down who? It is not 100% feasible of matching...

Even some night-fighter claims of the Nachtjagd were (I guess) not fully 100% matched yet....consider the re-working of Dr. Boithen years after his first work was published...How many years he have been researching this theme?

At first I did not wished to take part on the Thread, but guess that we are all here to learn and share (opinions). I do hope you will (maybe) apologize for the wrong way the thread started and maybe point out your findings regarding the claims you found were wrongly attributed to Galland.

Wish you and all members a nice day.

A. B.