View Single Post
Old 15th April 2013, 15:59
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: Question regarding loss of 2 Bomber Gruppenkomandeure on 22 April 1943

Generally,

Apr 43
[Luftflotte 4 with: I. Fliegerkorps, IV. Fliegerkorps, VIII. Fliegerkorps, Comandamentul Aviatiei de Luptã (Romanian Combat Aviation Command), 102. Repülődandár (Hungarian 102d Air Brigade), Fliegerführer Krim, Seefliegerführer Schwarzes Meer].
Ukraine.
N Caucasia and Crimea. Flew in direct support of ground forces in the Kuban bridgehead, attacking troop and armor concentrations, enemy-occupied villages, artillery positions and road columns. Additionally, attacks were continued on rail targets and Black Sea shipping. Air assets were concentrated on a Soviet breakthrough at Krymskaya (Krymsk) on 14 April and provided assistance to ground forces in bringing it to a halt before much penetration had been achieved. Supported an unsuccessful effort by V. Armeekorps to destroy the Novorossisk beachhead (Operation “Neptun”), flying more than 1,464 Stuka sorties on entrenched enemy positions while fighters overhead claimed several hundred Russian planes shot down. I. Fliegerkorps also flew numerous bomber, mine-laying and target illumination missions in support of the operation. Similar concentrated air support was flown for XXXXIV. Armeekorps from 28 April following another enemy attempt to break through German defensive positions around Krymskaya, which was highlighted by a heavy Soviet night air attack on the town 29/30 April. On those two days alone – 29 and 30 April – Luftwaffe fighters claimed 95 victories over the battlefield area. But the defenders were slowly driven back and Krymskaya was taken by the Russians on 5 May.

L.