View Single Post
Old 8th September 2010, 00:44

RedKnuck is on a distinguished road
Re: Glider part? Company Luft - Stuttgart?

The Lufft company made, and still makes instruments - including barographs. I just found a WWII era one in my mothers toolshed, it is of manufacture Lufft and basically similar to the thumbnail picture in Theodore's post above. It has a small metal plate on the wooden cover next to the handle displaying a Nazi eagle holding a swastika by its claws and beneath is a big capital letter "M" and under that "16 N/G". It has a drum that rotates by clockwork, the clockwork in buildt into the drum itself. Outside the drum there is afffixed a recording paper, and on this paper an arm scribes a graph. The instrument measures (meters) atmospheric pressure just like a baroMETER - but records it in "writing" - hence the term baroGRAPH. The one I found used 7 days for a full rotation of the drum -the last recording was the 24th of March 1945. I assume it was intended for landbased stationary use. I have understood by browsing the web that the rotating speed of the drum varies with the application - another similar Lufft barograph made for the Kriegsmarine (German Navy) rotated in only 12 hours. It seems natural that a instrument to be put in an aircraft would need only to record for the duration of the mission which would be measured in hours. Since an aircraft ascends and descendes during its flight the barometric pressure would vary a lot, and to choose between different rotational speeds to fit the length of the mission and/or to display the curve more legible seems like a good idea. I believe that that Theodors "Isgus clockwork" is the barograph drum/clockwork itself, made for use in a Lufft barograph designed to be in an aircraft of some kind. Hence the options of three different rotational speeds. This matches well with the statement given from the Isgus company. Just my opinion after having done some preliminary research following the recent discovery of the WWII barograph in the shed - I am not a pilot or very familiar with WWII aerial operations. (But I buildt dozens of Airfix/Revell plastic assembly kits of WWII aircrafts during the early 70's - so I definitly have an interest in warbirds...)