View Single Post
Old 20th September 2014, 00:06

Pesel## is on a distinguished road
Re: flugplatz Lemonsky

Even Dr.Prien makes mistakes giving geographic names. We have Krzewicza instead of Krzewica, or Pruszana instead of Prużana. So what the Lemonsky could be? Some characters were added or removed, some probably changed. The area of East Prussian/Polish/Lithuanian border are full of names that ends up with –ai (Valkininkai, Daugai, Mockai to take a few) on Lithuanian side, and –y (Sejny, Dolinczany, Niuchy) on Polish one. As II./JG 52 moved from Neusiedel/Ostpr to Lemonsky and lost an aircraft near Słonim (a small airfield by the way), taking into consideration operational range of Bf-109F, I would put the Lemonsky to area where Polish/Lithuanian/Belorussian border meet. I have checked Lithuanian geographic names and I have found nothing similar to Lemonsky. I suppose the area being Polish before 1939, now belonging to Belaruss, is the one a Lemonsky shall be looked for.
From the other hand I totally disagree that Lemonsky could be a person, who gave it’s name to an airfield. It was totally forbidden in Soviet Union within it’s politic system. Okay if it’s Stalin, Lenin, Molotov, or someone of that sort, but rather nobody else.

Last edited by Pesel##; 20th September 2014 at 00:07. Reason: typos