View Single Post
Old 17th June 2011, 21:19
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
PHISHING EMAIL IN TOCH MEMBER's NAME

This evening I received an email purportedly from TOCH Member Norman Malayney. It uses a recognised phishing message:
Hope you get this on time, I made a trip to Aberdeen, Scotland and had my bag stolen from me with my passport and credit cards in it. The embassy is willing to help by letting me fly without my passport, I just have to pay for a ticket and settle Hotel bills. Unfortunately for me, I can't have access to funds without my credit card, I've made contact with my bank but they need more time to come up with a new one. I was thinking of asking you to send some funds via Western Union to my travel agent in California so he can expedite my travel arrangements.

I can forward you details on how you can get the funds to him. You can reach me via email or on Blue Island hotel front desk phone, the numbers are, +44********** or +44**********.
(read more here) inviting the recipient to send money to a hotel front desk. I've redacted the phone numbers—no sense in spreading them

I've PM'd Norman to let him know that his account may be compromised.