View Single Post
Old 5th April 2012, 15:11

Martin Gleeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Fw 200 Condor Questions for 1939-40 Profile Layouts

Larry,
As you know these early Condor aircraft and operations are very difficult to research. I do not have any expertise on these matters as I rely mainly on published material, though the subject greatly interests me.
1/ Firstly I believe there was no C-0 version of the FW 200. The first 30 military Werk Nummern only refer to B-1, C-1, D-1, C-2, D-2 and C-3 sub-types. My sources here are 'Fw 200 Condor' by Juan-Carlos Salgado (2008) and 'Focke-Wulf 200 Condor, Part 1' (Airline service, Transport and Training) by Gunther Ott (2007).
Five of the airliner aircraft (including four A-0s) were impressed for transport of personnel and supplies during the Norwegian Campaign, including parachute drops of supplies to troops in Narvik. There impressed aircraft were operated by 4./KGrzbV 107 (along with four Ju 90s and one Junker G38). So this unit definitely deserves a profile !
2/ As one C-3 (0027) was lost in a bombing raid on Bordeaux-Merignac on 23 November 1940 and a second (0035) was lost in action on 10 January 1941 it seems certain the C-3 was in operational service during late 1940.
3/ See 1/.
I expect others can contribute more than the above. I have mentioned before that Part 2 of Gunther Ott's work will be invaluable to our understanding of early KG 40 operations. Has anyone news of its planned publication ? Gunther Ott used to post here occasionally but not in the last few years I think.
Regards,
Martin Gleeson.