View Single Post
Old 28th August 2010, 02:29

kb
Re: Luftwaffe aircraft captured by US Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walliser View Post
Hello kb,
Thanks for the rapid reaction. I found the mentioned article, but I could not detect the inserted list. Didn't I look at the right place? Can you help me?

Regards
Walliser
These two paragraphs from the article at the link outline the aircraft recovered. I'm sure there's a more detailed list with individual aircraft ID numbers.

"Armed with a "wish list" of German aircraft the Army Air Forces wanted to acquire, Watson selected 9th Air Force pilots to join him. The first catch was a Heinkel- 177 bomber. In April 1945, Lechfeld airfield, near the Messerschmitt factory, fell into American hands, and the collection of German aircraft grew dramatically. Karl Bauer and a crew of 25 former Messerschmitt airmen and mechanics helped the Americans.

The most famous of the German aircraft was the Messerschmitt-262, and Watson brought 12 back to the United States in July aboard the British aircraft carrier, HMS Reaper. Four of the -262s were "ordinary" fighters, one had a 50-mm cannon, three were pilot training aircraft, one was equipped for night fighting, and three were photographic reconnaissance aircraft. In addition to the Me-262s, the Reaper carried two Arado-234s, three Heinkel-219s, two Dornier-335s, nine Focke Wulf-190s, a Tank-152, three Messerschmitt BF-109s, a Messerschmitt BF-108, a Junkers-88, a Junkers-388, two Flettner-282 helicopters, and a Doblhoff jet helicopter."