Thread: Photos 3-9
View Single Post
Old 9th March 2007, 17:12

David E. Brown will become famous soon enough
Fw 190 D-9 "we.57", I./JG 301 "R4M-träger"

Hi Micke,

You are correct in your interpretation. This image is indeed the starboard side view of the Dora-9 Dave Wadman and I described in our Experten decals book way back in 1995.

In addition to the position of the trees in the background and cut branches in front of the machine, the position of the prop, solid-coloured spinner, RLM 81 stripe on the rea fuselage insert and fin leading edge, and upper/lower surface demarcation lines all are identical. Enlarging the image confirms that there are 13 R4M 'Orkan' rockets attached to the wooden launcher. Obviously though, some time has passed between the taking of the two images, with this one being later as the canopy, windscreen and lower landing gear doors are all missing.

It would be most interesting to know if the werknummer is visible in the original print. That area is delibereately blurred to cover the swastika. Perhaps Eric Larger might comment on its possible werknummergruppe.

Since our initial efforts, we concluded that this machine, along with others from JGr.10, ended up with I./JG 301. This was based on documentary eveidence as well as the red and yellow tailband. In this image, the forward red half is just visible but the rear yellow part is very light in shade. The converse is true for our image.

Also, note that the white '57' is rather fresh in appearance. There is a patch of paint under it that infers an earlier code number existed but was covered over, likely when it was received by I./JG 301

More information can be found here: http://www.stormbirds.net/experten/p...2addendum1.htm

Cheers,

David