View Single Post
Old 12th March 2024, 14:28
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Bf 109 pilot KIA near Schipol - circa Sept/Oct 1941 (quote on "Boldness be my friend" by Richard B. Pape)

I have read on several other Forums and sites about the book "Boldness be my friend" that the book is not 100% historically correct. The author being a former journalist and have suffered quite a lot of abuse by the Gestapo, may have had some kind of "memory problems" (to not say other things). If he was captured on the 25th as Leendert pointed out (date not informed on his book) and the descriptions of the Bf 109 accident ocurred the day before (my understanding) or the same day, there is NO match for what Pape described onto his book. We do not know if this was invented or if he actually saw such a LW plane crashing; but messed up the dates and facts.

Several post-war "War Diaries" do have those kind of Historical problems...maybe "bad memories" or the trying to embelish the stories...do not know why.

Thank you Leendert and Chris for positively showing that this story seems to be a fake one. Records shows no match for what was written down....this is a pity, since the book is very well written and lovely to read.

Well done chaps!

A.