View Single Post
Old 5th January 2006, 21:29

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Colour of KG 26 shield?

Guys,

I'm very pleased with my query generating so much discussion and without drawing any conclusions I understand I'm pretty much on my own interpreting the actual picture in question. Well... I've scanned a few pictures just to show what I'm talking about.

Here's the Heinkel at Sitas. It appears to me the German crewmembers have retrieved the dinghy and also removed all guns before trying to get back to German forces (They ended up in Polish hands in Norway actually) Without being certain it doesn't look like the Swedes have used orthochromatic film when taking this picture so as far as I can tell the Lion is black.

Here's a pic I found in the AJ-press Camouflage and Markings 5, showing another KG26 machine in 1941 according to the caption. It appears parts of the spinner could be same colour as the lion, which doesn't seem like it's black.

Finally I stumbled across this picture in the same publication. As the caption says it's a 5./KG 26 Heinkel and to me all of the letters seem very similar in colour, ie black.

Thanks for all your feedback folks

Kyrre