View Single Post
Old 17th October 2020, 17:15
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stunning German Photo Album

Hi Stig,

Glad you like it and take the trouble to say so. Thanks.

I've been thinking about the aircraft numbers you refer to, and I can't really do any better than suggest that they are particular to the school. As far as I can recall I don't believe I've seen anything of the like before.Can you see the /18 on C.20, I was slightly tempted, but no more than that to assume it was Albatros C.I C.20/15.I'm not looking at the image while I type, so if its another Rumpler you'll just have to imagine my embarrsasment.Also of course,as you'll know, as far as is known no 1918 C series serials earlier than C.100/18 were issued.

I am pretty sure that the biplanes are Halberstadt B.I and I am therefore inclined to believe that the machines, given the non-military nature of the numbering belong to the Halberstadt flying scholl in one of its iterations as we've touched on before. Are we seeing photos from the album of a flying instructor, and if so, from more than one school? Certainly the Rumpler aircraft with the unusual (non) Bestellnummern resemble nothing I've seen before from FEA 5..

With regard to the CL.II photo, interesting I thought that the Halberstadt B.Is were still about as can be seen from an aircraft in the rear of the photo.

Regards,

Clint