View Single Post
Old 3rd July 2009, 13:34
Alter Hase

Revi16 is on a distinguished road
Re: Luftwaffe Aircraft Loss Reports?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodM View Post
Hi Mike,

as previously mentioned the six-figure digit references relate to reports from Luftgaukommando XI. for both American and British losses.

NARA does hold photoprints of these; I have obtained copies of a few hundred of pages (majority relating to RAF losses) from NARA in the past = attached is a sample, frame number 131229 (to correct my earlier post, the captured films may not contain 30,000+ frames but 130,000+ frames).

Of the RAF-related KE/J files, these are in British hands, but I have found a very small number of original KE reports misfiled on KU/J files at NARA.

Mike, have you looked at the last fiche for RAF BC losses in Jan 1945? Do the documents appear to be of German or British origin? Are there any reference numbers listed (I ask because the RAF Missing Research and Enquiry Service appear to have used a master index of losses during their invesigations, but I don't know if this list has been made public in the UK)?

Rabe, I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments on the stealing of artifacts and documents from the files. As to the microfilms, I'm not so sure that this microfilming was done post-war by the British. The microfilms may have been of German origin and captured in that format.

Cheers

Rod
Hi Rod,

Perhaps you could point me in the right direction then, as no Archivists have been able to find or show me any 6 digit reports.

Do you know which Record Group, microfilm # or fiche # these are kept on?

Or are you referring to the British Reports from Jan. 45 only, fiche 5985?

Regards,
Mike