View Single Post
Old 4th January 2019, 13:30

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough
Re: Air Apaches: The True Story of the 345th Bomb Group and Its Low, Fast, and Deadly Missions in World War II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarto View Post
Well, I didn't find the aforementioned book about the "Bluenosers" too reliable. For example, while claiming that the 352nd encountered long-nosed Focke-Wulfs long before this type entered service, the author mentions the aircraft shot down by Virgil Meroney on 8th March 1944, then he states:
“Although Meroney misidentified the aircraft as an Me-109, or an Me-209, it is nearly certain that it was an FW-190”.
Actually, it was a regular Bf 109 G-6, flown by Hptm. Klaus Mietusch, the Kommandeur of III./JG 26, which is quite a well-known fact. However, casual readers would certainly be thrilled about mysterious encounters with Fw 190Ds.

Well I have not this book, but I was more referring to the second those people want to sell at £120, no less. And for the Fw 190 D & Me 209, this is sadly somehting I see to much and that disgust me as well. And something I did not saw in Stout's books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarto View Post
Perhaps I was wrong expecting a book similar to “The Pioneer Mustang Group” by Steve Blake or “To War with the Yoxford Boys” by Merle Olmsted but this one was a real letdown for me, I’m sorry to say.

I wouldn't put Olmsted book on the same level as Blake's one. For example, only the editor make mention (as one of the rare endpage note) the claim of a Fw 190 D in late 1943/early 1944 is faulty. It's still a good book, would put it on par with Marshall's 355th FG book, but when I compare to Luftwaffe unit histories by Lorant, Mombeeck or Caldwell (which share with Stout a very pleasant writing style) I find them lacking. Some authors like Caldwell couldn't decide between something easly readable and a precise war diary and produce both (Cross even include both in the same book about the 353rd FG). And lots of author also chose a in between. Stout make his books easly readable and full of anecdote that you may found somewhat out of place in serious work but which are entertaining. Did that means Stout's books are bad (even for enlightened people) or faulty ? No. Could they be used for thorough research in day by day action ? No.

Lately I've bought "Thunderbolts Triuphant - The 362nd Fighter Group vs Germany's Wehrmacht" by Chris Bucholtz and it looks very good.