View Single Post
Old 9th September 2009, 17:20

Jochen Prien is on a distinguished road
Re: Jagdfliegerverbände 10/III

Dear Del,
gentlemen,

it is actually a little difficult to answer your question precisely right now. As I stated earlier, the manuscript for the remaing part of Vol. 10 has been completed for some time. Right now we are waiting for some late arrivals to the photographic section which make it impossible to finalize the lay-out before they have arrived as they will have to be inserted into the flow-text.

Moreover it has not been finally fixed whether we will actually break up the manuscript into Vol. 10/IV and V or will have to put / cram it all into one single volume, the decision depending largely on the publisher and his calculations for either solution. For the readers two volumes of say 350 pages each would definitely be more expensive than a single one which could be cut down to say between 600 and 650 pages by using a smaller pitch etc.. Like I said, we will have to wait for what struve druck will say.

Although they say "once bitten - twice shy" ( and we heve been bitten more than once in the past as far as publication dates are concerned ) I stick my neck out and say that we will be out with at least one volume before the end of the year. But please don't quote me on that.

As to the contents of the oncoming volume/s: As in 10/I there is a day by day account of the activities of the day fighter units over the West in 1943, then there are the usual chapters on organization, new a/c types, camouflage and markings etc. and in the second part the individual units are dealt with like in the previous volumes,i.e. with a short summary, followed by the tables listing the unit leaders, airfields used, claims, losses etc. The units dealt with are all of JG 2, I./JG 3, all of JG 26 ( as far as not covered in 10/I and III and including all parts temporarily re-designated, such as 10., 11. and 12./JG 54 ), I./JG 27, 4. and III./JG 54 and 1./SAGr. 128. There will also be a large fold out map with the Lw-grid net, both numerical and alphabetical.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jochen Prien