View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:31

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF downed fighter in May or June 1940

Hello Rittmeister,

Glad to have been of some help. Some further information that may be of use:

No. 32 Squadron were based at Biggin Hill but operated from Abbeville on May 17, 1940, Moorsele the following day, and Merville on May 19, 1940. By June 8, 1940, they were based back in England using Manston as a forward airfield.

I don't know how Leendert arrived at this day as the date for the loss of the aircraft in your photograph for the squadron suffered several other losses that could fit the bill. However, on that date they actually lost three aircraft as follows:

32 Squadron, Manston Wing patrol Le Tréport - Aumale

Hurricane P3353. Shot down by Bf109s of III./JG26 during attack on He111s of I./KG1 between Rouen and Neufchâtel-en-Bray and crash-landed behind allied lines 9.25 a.m. P/O D. H. Grice unhurt. Aircraft a write-off.

Hurricane N2582. Shot down by Bf109s of III./JG26 during attack on He111s of I./KG1 over Rouen and crashed at Fief-Thoubert, St-Saëns, 9.25 a.m. P/O G. I. Cherrington killed. Aircraft a write-off.
The remains of Geoffrey Cherrington, originally buried alongside the crash site, were reinterred as an ‘Unknown Airman’ on June 4, 1941, but post-war excavation of the site by the MREU in October 1947 discovered aircraft serial N2582 thus confirming his identity.

Hurricane N2406. Shot down by Bf109s of III./JG26 during attack on He111s of I./KG1 south-east of Rouen and crashed near Houville-en-Vexin 9.30 a.m. P/O K. Kirkcaldie killed. Aircraft a write-off.

Source: The Battle of France Then & Now p446

From this it would seem that 'Grubby' Grice is a better option IF indeed the date suggested is found to be correct. Pity that the photo doesn't show the serial number.