View Single Post
Old 9th June 2018, 14:47

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: Curtiss P-40 top ten ace list

Quote:
Originally Posted by knusel View Post
Hello there Gentlemen,

by courtesy of Jim and Russ I learned more about the locations of the kills of the P-40 aces over Australia&Oceania. Thus, I could complete my breakdown of top P-40 pilots by continent.

The top P-40 pilots on each continent were:
• Africa: Clive Caldwell 20,5 P-40 kills over Libya and Egypt (includes ½ kill during convoy patrol)
• Europe: Nikolai Zelenov 19,23 P-40 kills over the European part of Russia
• Asia: David Hill 13,25 P-40 kills over Malaysia, Myanmar and China
• Australia & Oceania: Ernest Harris 10 P-40 kills over Papua New Guinea
• America: John Cape and Kenneth Boomer 1 P-40 kill over Alaska each (and any other pilot who scored one P-40 kill over Alaska)

I wonder if the location of Clive Caldwell's convoy patrol kill (16Aug1941) can still be determined.

Have a nice weekend,

Michael
The kill did not take place on 16 August, it took place on 18 August 1941 and was claimed as a damaged. Sgt. R T C Whittle claimed a probable in the same engagement. The convoy was off Ras-el-Mil
On the other side of the coin Hermann Foerster of 2./JG 27 shot down AK554 of Sgt. G M McCullough KIA (badly damaged, crashed on landing)
Location of Foerster's kill was E of Ras Azzaz

SO: LOCATION = Ras el Mil - Ras Azzaz sector

According to Kristen Alexander, the kill is recorded in 250 sqn's ORB as 19 August.

Sources:
Clive Caldwell Air Ace by Kristen Alexander
A History of the Mediterranean Air War vol 1 by Shores, Massimello and Guest

It has to be said....
...Making the outlay and buying some of the better sources would do you good, Michael, and it's not the first time you've been told that.