View Single Post
Old 14th January 2014, 04:36

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: German overclaims in the East. Hartmann and others...

In the same way that as a professional I have witnessed or am aware of innumerable compromises, or violations that have never gone and never will go reported, I suspect that Hartmann (352) may have been pressured on the occasion of his 300th (19 Claims over 2 days with a Propaganda Kompanie (PK) unit at the scene) - it was after all a totalitarian system with dire consequences for those who resisted -recall the bloody purges that were even then occurring within the military following the assassination attempt on Hitler. Hartmann may not have been the most reliable claimer, but I don't believe he was typically as bad as on 23-24 Aug 44. If he was indeed pressured in any way he may have been ashamed or embarrassed by the fact, and subsequently suppressed the memory. Lang (173) may have faced similar pressure earlier when he claimed 18 in one day in the midst of another Ostfront disaster in November 1943 with the photo of him emerging victoriously from his Fw-190 ending up on magazine covers.
But all this is mere conjecture; it is doubtful that any paper trail was left, just as there never was a document that EXPLICITLY stated the true fate of the victims of the euphemistic “Final Solution”.

To Echo Juha -one way or another - losses in the military GET reported -otherwise the military machine will fly apart.

Last edited by Rob Romero; 14th January 2014 at 05:10.