View Single Post
Old 18th January 2005, 20:07

Geoff Kennell
Entering names when searching German war graves website etc.

From time to time when searching for the grave details etc. of an airman on the German war graves website, I am having problems due to an umlaut in the name, as you can't enter an umlaut in the search box, which results in the airman not being 'found'.

I know that there are ways around this such as using 'ue' when there is an umlaut over the 'u' but can anyone post a list of the other letter combinations that can be used to get around umlauts in German names?

Does anyone have any other tips that can be used when searching for an airman on this website, i.e. can you use a 'wildcard' when you're not sure of the spelling? (i.e. gall*)

I would also appreciate some help with the following airmen, whom I've been unable to locate on the German war graves website-

Badstubner, Fw M, 3/4-3-43, 9/KG76. Ju88 WNr 4369. I have a photo of his grave at Cannock Chase, but can't find his details on the website. There is an umlaut over the 'u' but even when using 'ue' I still can't find him!

Flick, Uffz H, 8-9-40, 5/KG2. Do17 WNr 3415. Buried St Margaret’s Churchyard, Broomfield.

Selter, Uffz W, 8-9-40, 5/KG2. Do17 WNr 3415. Buried St Margaret’s Churchyard, Broomfield.

Trost, Uffz H, 8-9-40, 5/KG2. Do17 WNr 3415. Buried St Margaret’s Churchyard, Broomfield.

Geisler, Hptmn K, 6/7-9-43.I/SKG10. Fw190 WNr 840006.

Hellmuth, Oberlt H, 18-8-40, 6/ZG26. Me110 WNr ? Missing, no known grave?

Zeims, Oberlt, M, 8-9-40, 5/KG2. Do17 WNr 3415. Buried Maidstone Cemetery.

Is there anywhere on the Internet where you can get details (names, DoB etc.) for German airman with no known grave?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Geoff.