View Single Post
Old 7th October 2008, 00:38

aaatripp is on a distinguished road
Re: Capt.Wallace Emmer 354th Fighter Group

For rpeck350, Tom Semenza, Flugplatz Giessen, Leendert, shooshoobaby, Babin, Jack Cook, Alain Charpentier and Others:

Hello & Guten Tag! ----finally I have transferred the photos from the old computer to the new one and resized the files to enable attachment on this Forum.

#1 You will note on Bud's P51B (FT-G) that it is not equipped with a Malcolm hood. Photos of Don Beerbower's BONNIE B II (FT-E) are an excellent example of a B-model with the hood. Bud had 6 aerial victories at the time of this photo.

#2 Bud's P51D ARSON'S REWARD is pictured indicating 11 kills & includes the "Victory Stripes" used during and after 6 June 44 (DDay). If you use any of these photos we would appreciate it if you would please credit "Emmer Family Collection" as your original source (thank you, fielen dank).

We are planning a permanent memorial to the Emmer boys in St. Louis, including their medals. The photo from Flugplatz Giessen will be a welcome addition.

Due to your interest in the Emmers I will update you on the latest info:

1. I have confirmed with the cemetery that the remains of both Bud & Ray were returned from Europe after the war and buried in St. Louis. I spoke with a family friend who was a pallbearer for Ray's interment.

2. Military records indicate that Ray was killed by shell fragments from an artillery shell that entered his thigh and severed an artery. Ray went into shock and was found slumped over his B.A.R. near Weissenborn, Germany. (this is a correction to earlier post of Belgium location)

3. Corrections to Jack Cook's posting of 17 Feb 08:

a. Bud Emmer is pictured with 1Lt A.R. Madsen (of Chicago), a combat camerman who was the 2nd person to fly in the back seat of the P-51B "The Stars Look Down" (Gen. Eisenhower was the first).
b. Bud receives his Silver Star from Lt. Gen. Brereton (note 3 stars on his cap).

4. To Rick----found the photo of the belly landing of ARSON'S REWARD. It is at the back of "History in the Sky" compiled by Capt. Arthur F. Brown. It must have been taken within weeks of 9 Aug (when Bud was shot down) due to the # of victories painted on the fuselage. The question would be---was this a/c #44-13948 and was it repaired, or did he receive #44-13948 as a new a/c shortly before he was downed by German a/a fire?

I hope that some of this new info. answers some of the questions which were expressed earlier. Thanks again for your interest. Best wishes.

Tripp