View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 21:19

cj mohr is on a distinguished road
Seeking help with research about JG-52 and JG-51 during Zitadelle

Hello,

I've been impressed with the depth of research demonstrated in the discussions on this forum. I am trying to locate research materials relating to both German and Soviet air units involved in the Kursk battle of July-August 1943. Any help in finding primary sources relating to the unit histories of JG's 51 and 52 would be greatly appreciated.

Specifically, I am trying to flesh out the day to day activities of several pilots, who seem to have had particularly interesting days during 5 July 1943-August 1943.

Erich Hartmann flew with Krupinski on 5 July, and was affected by Krupinski's hospitalization following a disastrous avoidance maneuver on landing with a damaged plane at Ugrim. I am curious who was wingman for Hartmann during Kursk, and also who Krupinski's wingman was on 5 July.

I have also read that Krupinski claimed 11 kills on 5 July 1943 before his ground loop accident. I am curious if this is widely accepted, or if the specifics of time place altitude and type of enemy are known. Is a copy of Krupinski's logbook for the period available?

Another story I am trying to look into comes from Toliver and Constable's "The Blonde Knight of Germany". If I read it correctly, it indicates that Johannes Wiese achieved 12 kills on 5 July 1943, and also was forced down himself 5 times! That seems like a hugely busy day, and I have been seeking details of Wiese's forcedowns. I wonder if this was a translation error, as I have found another source which indicates Wiese was forced down 5 times over the course of his career. Can anyone clarify this?

Finally, regarding JG-51 during Kursk, the story of Hubert Strassl downing 15 Soviet planes on 5 July is quite remarkable. If anyone has any information, or knows of resources either confirming or refuting this story, I would greatly appreciate the help.

I have questions about the Soviet forces arrayed in the North and South of the Kursk bulge, but I will post those later in a separate thread.

To everyone who posts here, thank you for providing your insights and research. I feel this is one way to keep history alive and relevant.

Christer Bergstrom, your book "Kursk-The Air Battle:July 1943", is a tremendous help. Thanks.