View Single Post
Old 15th August 2019, 03:54

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: I./JG 1 on 18 Mar 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Fletcher View Post
Can anyone tell me if it was only the 2nd staffel of I./JG 1 that engaged American bombers on 18 Mar 43 or did 1./JG 1 and 3./JG 1 also fly. JG 1 volume II, by Eric Mombeeck, only mentions 2./JG 1 but I wondered if later works add any additional detail.

Also was the B-24 claim by Lt Dieter Gerhardt (2./JG 1) on this day confirmed as he was KIA in on the same sortie.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Hi Andy,

On my database, I have Gerhard's victim listed as:

Possibly "Eager Beaver" of 93rd BG, seen to drop out of formation but made it back to UK. Pilot was Frank Lown

Frey and Knoke also claimed, their victims listed as follows:

330th BS, 93rd BG. 1 loss: 41-23666 "Hot Freight". Lt. Howard E "Tarzan" Kleinstuber and 7 crewmen KIA. 1 man POW. Attributed by US sources to Bf110s, with 10 men KIA and 1 POW by Joe Baugher's serials website. One other B-24 lost, not positively identified. Plus one "Viermot" lost to flak. Boiten and Bowman definitely attribute "Hot Freight" to Knoke. Also damaged was "Shoot Luke" of George Murphy which accompanied "Eager Beaver" back to UK

Regards,

Nick