View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 03:47
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Captain Edward E. Hunt KIA Nov. 8, 1944

Renée,
The IDPF for Edward E Hunt does contain information about the crash site and witnesses. It also contains information about the identification of the body, and you may find this gruesome. It gives burial information, with disinterment and reinterment locations and dates. It gives the names of his parents and their address in 1944/45. I was able to locate the family in the 1930 census, but only his father in the 1920 census (still on active duty with the Army).

His Form 5s, giving monthly lists of his flights from the time of his completing flight training until his death, exist on microfilm at the Military Personnel Records Center in St Louis, and you can request them. But I believe the Center is in the process of moving and there may be a delay in obtaining copies.

His two earliest combat reports are located at the Air Force Historical Research Agency, at Maxwell AFB, Alabama. I have never been able to locate any other combat reports for him.

He received a DFC and an Oak Leaf Cluster to the DFC (in essence, a second DFC), and an Air Medal and 15 Oak Leaf Clusters to the AM.

Clayton Gross (referenced in an earlier post) will be attending the American Fighter Aces Association convention in Tucson early next month. He was in the 355th FS however, not the 353rd.

Frank Olynyk, Historian, American Fighter Aces Association.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 4th May 2009 at 03:58. Reason: Correct spelling errors.