View Single Post
Old 16th December 2012, 21:14

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking confirmation of first name of Hptm. Willi? Brandt, Sta Kap of 9./KG51 shot down 15 May 1940 in France

Hi Larry,

I don't have further details on the StaKa first name.

The names of the crew are given by Gillet (Rupture and Victoires de la ChassesBritanique). Based on these and other inputs this is my interpretation of this loss:

9./KG51 Heinkel He111H. Forced-landed on one engine, probably in Germany, badly damaged by No. 607 Squadron Hurricanes north of Vitry-le-Francois 6.40 p.m. Possibly that claimed by F/O Angus or F/L Lee. BS Gefr Karl Landmann killed. BO Hptmn Werner/Willi Brandt (Staffelkapitän), Fw Müller, Uffz Herrmann and Uffz Kraus believed unhurt. Aircraft a write-off.

Interception of III./KG51 was definitely not by 85 Sqn, but by No 607 Sqn flight operating from Villeneuve at 6.20 p.m. No 85 Sqn was active over Lille and central Belgium.

The crash location I interpret as being Germany given that there are no indications of any crash or emergy landing in France, Belgium or Luxembourg. This also explains why first names are not given.

Hope this helps, Pieter