View Single Post
Old 21st June 2007, 01:22

Amrit1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lt Gilmore C. Daniel (RCAF)

Joss Leclercq over on rafcommands.com posted this in response to my query:

Quote:
Hello,

As P/O Gilmore Cecil Daniel (J.15016) could have fallen in my research area in northern France, I checked his PoW questionnaire at Kew (W344 series). It appears that he came down in the Channel, and he wrote he was captured at Calais on the 16th.

According his questionnaire, he was born on 30th November 1917 and joined in July 1940.

His address was in Skiatook, Oklahoma in 1945.

He was treated for small shell splinters in St Omer hospital from the 16th to the 19th October, then in Lille hospital from the 19th to the 31st of October, then to Dulag Luft.

In front of the line « decorations » : he wrote « nil ».

There’s a short entry about him in Phil Listemann’s booklet about No. 71 Squadron, on page 38. He flew with No. 71 Squadron in september and october 1941 only, posted from No. 133 Squadron. This author confirms Daniel was a native american and states he was the youngest Eagle pilot. He wrote he had joined at the age of 15 but this is conflicting with the WO344 document, unless Daniel meant to have remustered to aircrew, as he wrote in the « civilian trade or profession » : aircraft mechanic.

No award mentioned in the book.

I also doubt a lot about the award of a D.S.O. to a junior officer with quite a short operational career.

Joss
Seems to clear up the decorations issue but not the claims. As to the issue of the age discrepancy I would direct people to the the pdf link I posted in an earlier message. Thank you Joss.