View Single Post
Old 16th August 2022, 16:50

Simon Trew is on a distinguished road
Re: Operation Steinbock navigational aids - locations in NW Europe

Minor update, in case anybody is interested in these nav aids.

Funkfeuer / Leuchtfeuer 6 'Paula' appears to have been at Saint Valery en Caux.
Leuchtfeuer 'Lisa' was at Saint-Valery-sur-Somme. Not clear if there was an associated Funkfeuer, though that seems likely.
Leuchtfeuer 'Fanni' (sometimes 'Fanny') was at Falaise but still not confirmed if there was an associated Funkfeuer, though again it seems likely.

Since numbers 9 and 10 in the list of FF/LF combinations appear to be unallocated, I'm guessing 'Lisa' was one of these and 'Fanni' was the other. But I might be wrong. For example, I don't know the number of 'Tafel' at Granville (maybe 9, if one source is correct).

Searchlight at Chateaudun was 'Cicero'.
Searchlight at Lannion was 'Zeiger'.
Searchlight at Volkel was 'Finger'.
Searchlight at Brussels was 'Brett'.

Flak star shells fairly consistently listed at Cherbourg, Calais, Dieppe, Le Havre and Ijmuiden. Occasionally elsewhere (e.g. off Boulogne and Ostend)

Searchlights 'Schraube 1, 2, 3 and 4' identified in a KG 54 ADI(K) report might be another name for 'Niete 1, 2, 3 and 4' as they are referred to as pointing towards the British coast and so presumably were themselves on a coastline, presumably the Dutch one. But again, could easily be wrong, and I've no idea where 'Kelte 3 & 4' identified in the same report were.

Any corrections / additions appreciated.