Thread: Lysander L4716
View Single Post
Old 6th December 2019, 05:17

Russell is on a distinguished road
Lysander L4716

Hello all,

In the new Air 81 listings there is a Lysander loss, basically as below, but with some edits I have added.

10 December 1941 AIR81/10931

Flt Sergeant J W Shepherd 563501: killed; enemy action at Derna, Libya, Lysander L4716, Middle East Comms Flight

The Air 81 Index entry was Sgt J K Shepherd with incorrect second initial. I have added a correction from Chris Hobsons books/CD and the CWGC site.

The pilot correct initials and serial number were J.W Shepherd 563501.

No unit is listed in Air 81 index but I have added it above, also from Hobson's data.

I cannot trace any records for the Communications flights in the Desert in Air 27. Infact none appear to exist prior to 1944.

Query, given the dates of loss on Air 81s can be a day or so late, (based on known cases, which I wont elaborate on here) could this aircraft have been lost on 9th December?.

Does anyone know in what circumstances it was lost?

Failing that would anyone be able to look up for me Air 81/10931 at the National Archives and see what the information in the file may add??

This casualty is not in Mediterranean Air War Volume 1 as we missed it. Indeed Air 81's were not available until after MAW Vol 1 was published and the information therein adds vastly more info on casualties.

I have read the relevant Mediterranean Air 81's up to Aug 41 when I last visited the National Archives, but obviously not the recent additions up to Jan 42. Its a long long way from Australia.

Lastly, Hans Niederhofer claimed a Lysander shot down SW El Adem on 9 December, the only possible enemy action claim for such an aircraft for some months.

Regards

Russell

Last edited by Russell; 6th December 2019 at 05:19. Reason: Grammar