View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2005, 20:47

Dennis Peschier is an unknown quantity at this point
Franek you have the right photograph in mind!
The Polish pilots with the Fw190 wing are on page 39. I do not think this wing belonges to 173932. Fw190s from this serie usualy have a different type of underwing balkenkreutz than the one shown here.
There is not enough information in this photograph for me to ty this wing to a certain Fw190 series.
I agree that some of the Germans corpses must have been badly burned. However, when a Dutch forensic dentist, who was involved in the identification of victims of the El-Al crash in Amsterdam in 1992, was asked, he said that it was higly unlikely that a human body was completely burned, there is always something left. I gues that it just wasn't such a high prioryty in those day. As John wrote
"about 3 or 4 pilots which crashed in that area, were identified by the Allies but their graves are unknown"

John,
Do you know if OFW Kurt Niedereicholz was indentified by the allies? If this was not than it only strengtens the case. The wreck looks rather burned towards the cockpit area. It could wel be that the pilot was burned beyond indentification. I believe German identity disks were made of zink, it must melt at some point.
A Fw190 has two fueltanks under, and one behind the cockpit. There was fuel enough for the return journey so it must have been quite a fire.

Bu the way, on page 38 there is a photograph of a Fw190 that you think to be 730407. If you look at page 22/23 you can see that this series had a different fuselage balkenkreutz.

Thanks John and Franek